You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Embedded Software Technologist
Computer science & software engineering
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Computer science & software engineering
Introduction to the job
ASML US, LP brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
Role and responsibilities
Seeking Embedded Software Technologist with passion for driving improvements in embedded software control systems. Join ASML and you will be joining a team that operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions. Our customers demand continuous improvements in power and throughput which translates to a development culture of product upgrades and aggressive commercialization methodologies for DUV excimer laser product technology.
You will work closely with system, software, and control engineers to formulate long-term software strategies and lead the transformation of our internal processes for developing and releasing high-quality software solutions. The role requires expertise of RTOS, multi-threaded architectures, and data processing to update and enhance existing products in response to obsolescence and incorporate new features to satisfy customer and product marketing requests. The role requires the ability to create solid software designs, architecture enhancements, mentor junior engineers and provide technical leadership as you analyze complex issues, determine the best design/test methodologies and contribute to all aspects of the software development and release lifecycle.
Your influence span will cover Software and Controls Design in Cymer San Diego. Your critical and innovative thinking will be required while collaborating with Laser Lead Technologists, and Product Marketing in defining future products. You will be widely recognized as an internal technical subject matter expert and provide broad technical leadership to solve complex product challenges.
Come and join our journey and you will be challenged and rewarded as you work alongside a group of talented, passionate and fun-loving engineers. You can tell your friends – I work on semiconductor lithography machines that enable the next generation of chips that power the innovations in the world - in short, the future of electronics!
Role and responsibilities:
- Guide the design of software in response to system and controls requirements.
- Drive the approved Software Development Process and the Product Generation Process and act proactively to champion new process improvement.
- Provide Technical stewardship of software architecture design that impact current product success, and guiding future concepts, products and technologies.
- Work in hard and soft real time domain with complex & custom hardware interfaces and various communication protocols.
- Utilize knowledge to guide software design for large complex multi-processor systems.
- Articulate (verbal and written) the design decisions, technical risks and implementations made to management at Cymer /ASML, its development partners and the customer.
- Participate in the screening and selection of software development team members and in the mentoring of new software development team members.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and experience
- Requires Minimum of BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other related Eng/Science fields. MS or Ph.D. in relevant field is preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years in technical development role with strong leadership demonstration.
- 10+ years of working C++ experience required.
- Delivered 3+ mid to large scale software projects with demonstrable quality.
- Proven ability to guide a team in coding efforts for a distributed control system. The coding will require programming in different languages (C++, C#, Java, Python) on different RTOS environments (VxWorks, CentOS).
- Hands on experience with refactoring for performance and scalability – complex multi-processor distributed control system is a plus.
Knowledge of modern computer architectures and hardware technologies including:
- x86, ARM and RISC-V Architectures.
- PCIe, GPIO, I2C, SATA.
- Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs).
- Network communication protocols: USART/UART, SPI, Ethernet, CAN, CORBA, ftp.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Strong C++ knowledge, Object Oriented Design principles and embedded development.
- Ability to quickly develop and understand complex control systems including embedded real-time, application layers, CORBA interface and its associated hardware environment.
- Ability to follow a Software Development Process that includes elements of planning, estimation, gathering and analyzing requirements, developing concepts and designs, implementation, developing and executing test plans and engaging in periodic work product lessons reviews.
- Ability to interact effectively with other team members as well as individuals in other disciplines and organizations to deliver product-level features and requirements.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations and understand when appropriate time might be to adopt them.
- Ability to mentor and coach software development engineering staff.
- Project leadership skills.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Some travel required.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus including working while fully gowned in a clean room environment.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The employee may be required to travel based on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Extended periods of time in a clean room environment should be expected. Requires gowning in Class 10K gowning protocol.
- May need to work in labs with equipment that emit high-pitched noise.
- May spend extended periods of time at a computer workstation.
The California base annual salary/hourly range for this role is currently $194,625.00-$324,375.00. Pay scales are determined by role, level, location and alignment with market data. Individual pay is determined through interviews and an assessment of several factors that that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to, job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and pay relative to other team members. Our recruiters can share more information about our bonus program, benefits and equity during the hiring process.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.