You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
In a nutshell
Other technical backgrounds
ASML is a world leader in the manufacture of advanced technology systems for the semiconductor industry. The company offers an integrated portfolio for manufacturing complex integrated circuits (also called ICs or chips). With over 40,000 people in more than sixty locations worldwide ASML has an international presence. For our Corporate Intellectual Property (CIP) department at the global headquarters in Veldhoven, the Netherlands we are looking for a Patent Attorney with 2-6 years of experience in handling IP matters in industry or at an IP law firm.
Role and responsibilities
Your job mission is establishing, prosecuting, and maintaining patent rights in the field of patterning technology for the semiconductor industry, with focus on metrology and process control. Evaluating and mitigating patent risks in this field from a worldwide perspective. You will be part of the Patents Applications Metrology and Patterning Control (APPS MPC) group which presently consists of 8 Patent Attorneys, with varying levels of experience, and report to the Director Patents APPS MPC. Your responsibilities include:
- Interacting with various internal stakeholders (e.g., research, D&E groups) to determine opportunities to establish patent rights and determine existence of patent risks.
- Actively developing and managing a global patent portfolio, including supervising outside counsel to properly prepare and prosecute patent applications.
- Determining potential risks posed by third party patent portfolios and mitigating any such risks.
- Handling IP-related projects.
- Counseling the management of business line APPS MPC regarding intellectual property rights, opportunities, and risks.
Education and experience
- Patent Attorney with 2-6 years of experience in handling IP matters in industry or at an IP law firm.
- MSc degree in physics, mechanics, electrical engineering, or a similar technical field.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Being able to go into detail but having the helicopter view when necessary.
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and in teams.
- Decisive and self-initiating.
- Good “sparring partner” to inventors.
- Pro-active and customer-friendly mindset.
- Strong English language skills.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Within ASML, the CIP department is responsible for maximizing ASML’s global intellectual property position to protect and support ASML’s business. In particular, the CIP department strives to preserve freedom to operate for ASML and to establish and maintain a portfolio of patent rights.
At the CIP department about eighty people (of which about thirty patent attorneys) work in four locations (Veldhoven in the Netherlands, and Wilton, San Diego, and San Jose in the USA) to accomplish the above-stated mission. Note that this position requires weekly on-site presence in Veldhoven.
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.