Controls / Automation Intern
Interns and Trainees
In a nutshell
San Diego, US
Interns and Trainees
Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics
No (not at all)
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
The Controls team focuses on high-speed real-time control that operates and regulates the EUV light source in a fully automated way.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
- Work in a team environment alongside local experienced engineers.
- Plans and executes laboratory research pertaining to algorithm design and validation in lab test bench and/or cleanroom
- Carry out typical lab activities, such as mount/unmount electrical modules, connecting cables, read LED status and perform simple troubleshooting
- Specific tasks will be tailored to match the education / experience level of the intern as well as the interns learning objectives for the summer.
- The goal of the internship is for you to learn about working in a corporate setting and to provide hands on experience solving real world problems in a team environment.
- Interns will typically be required to document and present their findings as well as making an end of summer presentation to the group about what they achieved during their internship.
- You will be working with control experts to design and validate the next generation control system that operates and regulates the EUV light source in a fully automated way.
Education and Experience
- Studying towards a degree in Mechanical Engineering Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Robotics, or related field of engineering. Junior Senior level of study. Master or PhD students also eligible for internships as long as education is continued after internship.
- Experience with or knowledge of designing and implementing practical feedback control or optimization systems of significant complexity
- Ability to analyze feedback control systems using classical, modern or nonlinear techniques and theories
- Knowledge of modern control theory, stochastics, and some nonlinear control theory
- Experience with or knowledge of Matlab and Simulink
- Experience with or knowledge of System Identification desirable
- Working knowledge of C/C++ and Python desirable
- Working knowledge of firmware development/VHDL desirable
- Experience with or knowledge of embedded software systems desirable
- Experience with or knowledge of FPGA desirable
- Ability to carry out typical lab activities, such as mount/unmount electrical modules, connecting cables, read LED status and perform simple troubleshooting
Skills & Competencies
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- This position is located on-site in San Diego, CA. It requires onsite presence to attend in-person work-related events, trainings and meetings and to further ensure teamwork, collaboration and innovation.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be willing to work in a clean room environment, wearing coveralls, hoods, booties, safety glasses and gloves for entire duration of shift.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check band any other tests that may be required.
The current base annual salary range for this role is currently $17.00 - $53.00. Pay scales are determined by role, level, location and alignment with market data. Individual pay is determined through interviews and an assessment of several factors that that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and pay relative to other team members. Our recruiters can share more information about our bonus program, benefits and equity during the hiring process.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.