Design Engineering and Architecture
In a nutshell
San Diego, US
Design Engineering and Architecture
No (not at all)
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
The Controls Intern will explore algorithms and controllers to improve the Cymer laser’s output energy stability. The lasers are complex highly dynamic systems with many control loops, and our customers demand ultra-high performance. The work involves understanding the existing controllers and laser dynamics, writing and running simulations, running experiments on a laser and collecting data, and proposing design enhancements and solutions to existing problems.
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
- Understand and analyze different aspects of existing laser energy controller (i.e. feedback, feedforward, etc.) and laser energy dynamics and disturbances
- Propose enhancements to the existing design based on theoretical and practical considerations and discussions with colleagues
- Study one or more proposals through simulations, on-laser experiments (including writing test software), and data analysis
- Refine the best proposals to incorporate real-world constraints and variations, and recommend the best options
- Document and share your work via technical memos, review presentations, team discussions and seminars
Education and Experience
- Must be pursuing a Master’s or higher level degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related field, with a focus or specialty in Controls
- Good knowledge of dynamic system and control theory is required
- Good knowledge of MATLAB is essential. Some knowledge of C/C++ is helpful but not required.
- Familiarity with basic EE principles (voltage, energy and power units, aliasing), is useful but not essential
- Ability to efficiently process and analyze large amounts of data using various techniques such as time-domain, frequency domain, statistical methods.
- Understands basic concepts of discrete-time simulation
- Ability to work both independently and in teams, accepting input from, and conscientiously sharing your input with, other members of your team
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to details and high degree of accuracy
- Possesses good technical communication skills, including clear data plotting and rigorous technical language.
- Shows attention to detail and follows through on assignments and ideas.
- Able to manage time effectively among multiple priorities and seek guidance from your manager when needed.
Skills & Competencies
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- This position is located on-site in San Diego, CA. It requires onsite presence to attend in-person work-related events, trainings and meetings and to further ensure teamwork, collaboration and innovation.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be willing to work in a clean room environment, wearing coveralls, hoods, booties, safety glasses and gloves for entire duration of shift.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. All candidates receiving an offer of employment must successfully complete a background check band any other tests that may be required.
The current base annual salary range for this role is currently $17.00 - $53.00. Pay scales are determined by role, level, location and alignment with market data. Individual pay is determined through interviews and an assessment of several factors that that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and pay relative to other team members. Our recruiters can share more information about our bonus program, benefits and equity during the hiring process.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement: ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.