Principal Mechanical Architect
Design Engineering and Architecture
In a nutshell
Design Engineering and Architecture
Introduction to the job
The System Function Mechanical Architect is responsible for the overall mechanical architecture for new machine developments. This position will be supported by the three Function Architects for Mechanical System Layout, Mechanical Constructions and Handling and Transport.
The System Function Mechanical Architect will start with defining the framework of the machine taking into account several parameters like, performance impact, overall architecture, upgradeability, handling and transport, etc.
Together with System Engineering and other System Function Architects, the mechanical architecture is an important enabler for the machine performance in such a way that the machine can be easily build, transported, installed and serviced. Find creative solutions such that the machine will meet both its performance and industrialization requirements.
Role and responsibilities
Take full ownership of the Mechanical Architecture of an EUV system over the full development cycle. Create system level mechanical requirements and concepts. Take a broader view beyond the mechanics: challenge other architects on their proposed concepts. Keep overview at all times, mitigate risks, solve issues and communicate with the main stakeholders.
- Create and maintain requirement documentation on system level.
- Participate in System Engineering meetings. Support System Engineering in their questions, challenge them, come with solutions, concepts within the agreed budgets.
- Regular alignment with program and line management on progress, risks and important decisions like milestone and budgeting.
- Empower the (architect) teams supporting you (align, support, challenge, develop and coach).
- Cooperate on several levels with eg factory, field, function owners, program and line-management.
Education and experience
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in mechanical engineering or comparable.
- >10 years working experience as architect in industries like automotive, aerospace, etc.
- >5 years working experience in leading large teams as main architect.
- Extensive machine construction & building experience.
- Experience with requirement management, volume architecture, tolerances, industrialization, complex systems, etc.
- Acted as main architect for complex machines and/or modules over the full development cycle.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Leadership; can take the lead in a large team of architects of different disciplines.
- Helicopter view: easily can determine priorities and main risks.
- Vision: knows where to go to, also when there are many uncertainties.
- Communication; easily communicates and convinces on all levels.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Want to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.
Click here to read more about life at ASML.
Click here to read more about the perks of working in ASML’s Mechanical Development department.
Click here to read more about ASML’s technology.
Click here to read more about ASML’s products.
Click here for ASML’s YouTube channel.