Senior Technical Writer
Learning and Knowledge Management
In a nutshell
San Jose, US
Learning and Knowledge Management
Other non-technical backgrounds
Introduction to the job
The Senior Technical Writer will be responsible for creating and updating product user guides, release notes and other product documents targeted for users in the EDA semiconductor industry. This position reports directly to the Application Operations Sr Manager and is based in San Jose, CA.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
- Write, edit, and publish high-quality single-source product documentation authored in DITA XML in Oxygen XML Author. Oxygen Author is integrated with the Bluestream XDocs Component Content Management System (CCMS). Some documents are also authored in Microsoft Word.
- Coordinate internal reviews of product documentation.
- Publish documentation in PDF using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and a PDF Plugin.
- Collaborate with other writers and the product engineering, development, customer support, and product marketing teams to develop and maintain product documentation.
Education and experience
- BS/BA degree required in English, Communications, Technical Writing, another related degree or commensurate experience as a technical writer with degree.
- Minimum 10 years experience writing and editing developer documentation for highly complex technology products.
- 3+ years experience using DITA, including DITA attributes.
- Experience writing and editing product and service documentation for chip design and manufacturing products in the semiconductor industry.
- Experience with a DITA CCMS, Oxygen, or another XML authoring tool.
- Ability to develop and maintain documents that contain a large number of DITA files.
- Ability to add and update index entries.
- Experience working with off-site authors and subject matter experts (SMEs), including editing content created by English as a Second Language (ESL) speakers.
- Experience in department and project management.
- Experience acting in a leadership role.
- Experience creating and maintaining online help.
- Familiarity with UNIX tools and commands.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Results-driven demonstration of ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
- Developing DITA document architecture for product documentation.
- Defining documentation look and feel, for PDF and online help publications.
- Experience with Antenna House or other third-party XSL-FO tools, a plus.
Diversity and inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.
The current base annual salary range for this role is currently $138,750-$231,250. Pay scales are determined by role, level, location and alignment with market data. Individual pay is determined through interviews and an assessment of several factors that that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and pay relative to other team members. Our recruiters can share more information about our bonus program, benefits and equity during the hiring process.