You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Mechatronics Engineer - Co-Op
Research & development
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Research & development
No experience (Student)
Mechatronics, Mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
A well-rounded mechatronics engineer in this position will work on mechatronics, precision handling of delicate parts, product and system integration and software functionality, all specific to ASML products. The main focus will be mechatronics and control systems on advanced modules in lithography tools. Candidate should have direct experience in the design and test of mechatronic systems and control systems, preferably in the area industrial robotics integration.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
The DUV Reticle Stage Mechatronics Group in Wilton CT is seeking a well-rounded co-op to work on mechatronics, sub-nanometer linear motion control, product and system integration and/or software functionality, all specific to ASML products. The main focus will be mechatronics and control systems on advanced modules in lithography tools.
Candidate should have direct experience in the design and test of mechatronic systems and control systems.
As a co-op the expectation is that you will spend the summer of 2023 with us, plus 1 semester full-time either before or during the school year after the 2023 summer.
The job requires a strong technical individual contributor to:
- Technically own and drive the decisions necessary to complete the tasks.
- Work with designers from supporting engineering disciplines in order to converge on an overall design solution.
- Autonomously gather necessary information to conceive and propose options in order to meet the sub-module and sub-system level requirements.
- Interface with module architects to derive requirements for the sub-modules.
- Write performance specification documents at sub-module level and feed sub-budgets down to the lower levels.
- Create sub-module level test protocol docs and subsequent test result analysis to prove sub-module and sub-system level performance specs are met.
- Understand and be able to communicate the implication of sub-module level errors on higher module level performance and on other sub-modules.
- Work on solving an actual issue or design challenge the group is facing at the time. Specific tasks will also be tailored to match the education / experience level of the intern as well as the student’s learning objectives for the duration.
- Perform some autonomous work (modeling, data collection, data analysis, test execution in the lab or clean room) as well as some supervised and/or collaborative work.
- Clearly communicate technical performance in both written and verbal presentations to stakeholders.
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher education in a Science or Engineering discipline such as Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Electrical Engineering, or Physics with at least 2 years completed education or equivalent experience.
- Master degree students preferred.
- Strong MATLAB, Simulink skills are required.
- Experience with PID controllers, linear and nonlinear calibrations, flexible dynamics.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
- Candidate must have strong communicative skills with a commitment to achieving results on time.
- Candidate shall be a demonstrated “team player” with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interface with multidisciplinary groups and work effectively in a team. Willingness to take on responsibility, follow through and keep multiple simultaneous assignments on schedule.
- Ability to quickly acquire technical knowledge from documentation and on-the-job training. Capability to thoroughly investigate technical issues (analytically and hands-on in a lab environment).
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability