You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Optical Engineer Intern
In a nutshell
Wilton - CT, US
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler, Arizona, San Jose and San Diego, California, Wilton, Connecticut, and Hillsboro, Oregon.
ASML’s YieldStar Sensor Group in Wilton CT is looking for a Summer Intern to join the team for a period of 3 moths to focus on a project in the area of optical engineering to support current or future YieldStar product. The candidate should be pursuing a degree in Physicist/Engineer with preference to optical engineering that give him/her the ability to support and develop optical/photonic sensor systems used within ASML’s photolithography tools.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
Key components of this position are:
Using Optical engineering expertise the candidate is expected to perform work in some of these general area of Optical Engineering:
- Perform Optical design, optical tolerancing and modeling with CodeV and/or Zemax.
- Physical Optics Simulation (wave propagation, partial coherence calculation and other optical effects) in Matlab, FRED and CodeV or other suitable design tools.
- Perform Polarization optics error budgeting and polarization modeling.
- Building and aligning complex sensors using diverse mechanical, collimation and interferometry.
- Test stand design and build: concept, error budget, realization.
- Optical sensors Hardware build and debugging.
- Working knowledge with diverse optical devices and sensors: objectives, collimation and relay optics, fibers, cameras and detectors.
Education and experience
- Looking for candidate that is currently pursuing a degree in optical engineering or closely related areas of engineering and physics or equivalent experience.
- Preference for a candidate pursuing a Master or a Ph.D degrees.
- Undergraduate students with specific expertise in key areas of optical design and optical systems will be considered.
- Student must demonstrate some experience in some of these areas:
- Optical design and tolerancing using CodeV or equivalent SW package.
- Physical optics modeling with FRED or equivalent SW package.
- Optical sensors alignment experience using diverse alignment strategy and tools like optical collimators, mechanical gaging and interferometers.
- Optical sensor metrology test design and build.
- Expertise with diverse optical technologies and devices: polarization devices, relays, objectives, light sources, fibers, camera and detectors.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
- This position is located on-site in Wilton, CT. It requires onsite presence to attend in-person work-related events, trainings and meetings and to further ensure teamwork, collaboration and innovation.
- The role will require some clean room engineering support during new product introduction and customer escalation to find root cause.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.