You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Electrical engineering, Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
ASML is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of lithography systems that help enable Moore’s Law and the creation of increasingly powerful and capable electronic devices. Our San Diego-based light source division, Cymer, is renowned for developing both deep ultraviolet (DUV) lithography light sources and next generation extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources. As the world’s leading semiconductor equipment manufacturer, ASML enables chipmakers to produce cheaper, speedier chips – and to produce them faster – thereby enabling all the technology you use today. The systems we produce integrate several large and sophisticated machines, themselves each a feat of engineering innovation, precision, and speed.
We are a multinational company with over 70 locations in 16 countries, headquartered in Veldhoven, the Netherlands. We have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA (EUV laser source creation).
In the Cymer Light Source (CLS) division in San Diego, we design and manufacture Deep Ultraviolet (DUV) lasers, used directly in the chipmaking process. Far from a basic “consumer” laser, these machines are complex, powerful, and flexible. The lasers we make require: durable and high-speed precise motion-controlled optics to maintain wavelength to femtometer accuracy under high laser powers; advanced materials to endure the harsh Fluorine-rich environments and high powers; clever mechanical designs to allow high performance and fit all the parts within a confined space, but still allow easy manufacturing and servicing; very fast high power electronics and electrical designs to deliver short high voltage pulses at precise timing to control pulse energy within hundredths of a percent; gas flows at hurricane speeds to keep the laser discharge area clear; cutting edge controllers and algorithms to deliver stable and consistent performance and automate all operations; and advanced real-time electronics, firmware and software to control the laser and interact with other equipment. The laser needs to minimize use of expensive or rare resources like energy or Neon gas. It needs to actively control temperatures, pressures, gas concentrations and voltages precisely to maintain good performance. It must react instantly to changing customer demands and environmental conditions. And it needs to do all of this, operating continuously and reliably for months while producing billions of perfect light pulses, without any human intervention or downtime.
If you have a passion for technology and innovation, you’ll want to check us out. Be a part of Cymer / ASML. Be a part of progress.
One Company, One Goal, Limitless Innovation. It's our people that make the difference.
Role and responsibilities
The General Quality Specialist develops, evaluates, revises, and applies technical quality assurance protocols/methods to inspect and test in-process raw materials, production equipment, and finished products. Ensures activities and items are in compliance with both company quality assurance standards and applicable government regulations. Performs analysis and identifies trends in the inspection of finished products, in-process materials and bulk raw materials, and recommends corrective actions when necessary. Ensures that established manufacturing inspection, sampling and statistical process control procedures are followed. May assure compliance to in-house and/or external specifications and standards, such as GMPs and ISO regulations. Evaluates and analyzes the efforts in organizing, documenting, and interpreting inspection support documents and records.
Interprets, evaluates and analyzes available information such as requirements from engineering drawings, spec data sheets, etc. to drive quality issues resolution using sound, structured problem-solving approach/RCA tools such as FMEA, 8D methodology, Statistical analysis/Six sigma, 5 Whys, etc. Applies robust engineering principles, lean manufacturing methodologies and identifies/implements continuous improvements to enable improved product and processes quality. Participates in cross-functional teams including factory team, design, manufacturing engineering, management, etc. to successfully enable issue resolution and continuous product and process improvement.
- Performs quality data analysis to identify systemic quality issues, propose solutions and work towards solutions.
- Performs quality inspection of the laser system and modules.
- Applies knowledge of industry inspection methods and standards with the ability to translate to product acceptability.
- Performs quality audits of the manufacturing and quality process, evaluates process adherence and identifies gaps, communicates findings to team and management.
- Aligns with teams on action plan to close gaps identified during manufacturing and quality processes audits and ensure closure.
- Works closely with cross functional teams to investigate issues reported by internal/external customers and develop, align and implement resolution action plan.
- Follows up on resolution action plans including implementation of containment actions and corrective actions.
- Delivers results on time, including reporting to team and management.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Learning to use professional concepts. Applies company policies and procedures to resolve routine issues. Emphasis is on learning the key aspects of the job.
- Works on problems of limited scope.
- Follows established, standard practices and procedures in analyzing situations or data from which answers can be readily obtained.
- Builds stable working relationships internally.
- Incumbents are closely managed by more senior staff members. Work is reviewed regularly by supervisor or more senior peers.
- Plans, organizes and prioritizes day to day activities/assigned work to meet established schedules and deadlines.
Education and experience
- Requires a Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering – i.e., Industrial, Electrical, Quality.
- Master of Science degree in Engineering is a plus.
- 3-5 years of experience in Quality and/or Manufacturing Industry preferred.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Experience/Strong Knowledge of ISO 9001 QMS, Six Sigma, SPC a plus.
- Experience/Strong knowledge of strong problem-solving skills/tools and techniques such as 8D methodology, DMAIC, Lean Six Sigma Methodology, etc.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification is a plus.
- Ability to learn and adjust to the Cymer quality system and laser technical competencies.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes and quality concepts.
- Understanding of process flow diagraming and documentation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Motivated and enthusiastic team player.
- Must be able to multi-task, comfortable with a rapidly changing work environment, and set priorities without jeopardizing project schedule.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Position will require technical work activity in a clean-room production environment and/or laboratory setting.
- Occasionally may be exposed to loud noise bursts and may be exposed to toxic gases (fluorine).
- Must be able to work in small, confined spaces.
This U.S. position is open to U.S. workers only. A U.S. Worker is someone who is either a U.S. Citizen, U.S. National, U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident, or a person granted Refugee or Asylum status by the U.S. Government. The Company will not sponsor a foreign national for this position.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.