You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Senior Materials and Conditioning Engineer
Other technical job categories
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Other technical job categories
Introduction to the job
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop
lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient
microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Wilton, CT, Chandler, AZ, San Jose, CA and San Diego, CA.
ASML is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of lithography systems that help enable Moore’s Law and the creation of increasingly powerful and capable electronic devices. At our San Diego location we are renowned for developing both deep ultraviolet (DUV) lithography light sources and next generation extreme ultraviolet (EUV) light sources. We are a multinational company with over 70 locations in 16 countries, headquartered in Veldhoven, the Netherlands. If you have a passion for technology and innovation you’ll want to check us out. Be a part of ASML. Be a part of progress.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
The EUV source team in San Diego operates in a fast-paced, uniquely innovative and challenging environment to create new-to-industry solutions with rapid productization to support an aggressive commercialization plan for the EUV technology within ASML. The Root Cause Analysis team is responsible for discovering the failure modes that occur during the design phase, the integration phase, and in the field. They then work with the design team to design and execute experiments to find the root cause of the failures and then work toward finding solutions to fix the problems. The complexity of EUV source puts exciting and challenging demands on the Root Cause Analysis Engineers who will be engaged in all phases of development, failure analysis and integration, all working under extremely challenging dynamic conditions to produce stable EUV light.
- Works closely with cross-functional groups to qualify materials, perform lifetime testing, and improve performance of EUV source components.
- Validates concepts through experiments.
- Independently investigates scientific and technical problems and challenges; evaluates and recommends solutions.
- Build and operate vacuum & thermal test setup for different project and modules.
- Qualifies materials, components, and processes for different parts of the EUV source.
- Applies advanced experimental and analytical skills to define requirements and devise solutions to technical performance matters.
- Obtains and analyzes data using materials characterization techniques (such as mechanical testing, including tensile, compressive, torsional, creep, fatigue, toughness and hardness testing; SEM/EDS; TEM; etc)
- Documents work results with system requirements, design specifications, procedures, and training materials.
- Manages work performed by outside labs to perform analysis on Droplet Generators.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of clearly explaining technical issues and ideas to peers and management.
Education and experience
- Requires minimum of a Masters with 3-5 years of relevant experience or a PhD with no experience in Physics, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, or related discipline with a minimum of 3.0 GPA.GPAs over 3.5 highly preferred.
- Requires experience with vacuum & thermal systems as well as designing, building, & troubleshooting test setups.
- Requires a solid conceptual understanding and hands-on experience with a wide variety of modern materials characterization techniques (such as FTIR, UV-Vis, mechanical testing, tribology, SEM,EDS, TEM etc.).
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems and solutions through written and/or graphical formats.
- Experience with lifetime testing of materials is a plus.
- Experience with NX, Solidworks, ProE (3D CAD) system is plus.
- Experience with data analysis software such as Excel, JMP, Minitab, Matlab etc. is desired.
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with tin, liquid metal corrosion, and metal thin film deposition and etch is a plus.
- Proficient in MS Office Applications specifically Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Can work effectively under deadlines and in a fast-paced environment.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
May require travel dependent on business needs.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
The California base annual salary/hourly range for this role is currently $98,250.00 -$163,750.00. Pay scales are determined by role, level, location and alignment with market data. Individual pay is determined through interviews and an assessment of several factors that that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to, job-related skills, relevant education and experience, certifications, abilities of the candidate and pay relative to other team members. Our recruiters can share more information about our bonus program, benefits and equity during the hiring process.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.