You can withdraw your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.Configure your cookie settings and confirm to save your settings. You can withdraw or change your consent at any time on our cookie consent page.
Senior Scientist for DUV Discharge Chamber Development (Tech Dev)
Research & development
In a nutshell
San Diego - CA, US
Research & development
Physics, Mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering
Introduction to the job
ASML US, including its affiliates and subsidiaries, bring together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics.
Cymer is an independently operated business within the ASML group that develops, manufactures and services deep-ultraviolet (DUV) light sources. The product portfolio includes excimer lasers using argon fluoride (ArF) or krypton fluoride (KrF) gases to generate light in the deep-ultraviolet spectrum. These lasers generate the light that photolithography scanners use to image patterns on silicon wafers. The research, development and manufacturing of DUV light sources is centered in San Diego.
The Discharge Chamber is one of the core modules for DUV light sources, where the discharge plasma is generated to provide DUV light (193nm or 248nm). The development goals include extending chamber lifetime, improving energy efficiency and stability, reducing cost, etc. Achieving these goals requires extensive collaboration among plasma physics, material science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, flow dynamics, and more. If you have a passion for technology and innovation, please join us to develop this complex and challenging DUV discharge plasma chamber!
This position does NOT require a green card and the company will sponsor a working visa (H1-B, O1, etc.).
This position may require access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require the Company to proceed with candidates who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
Role and responsibilities
A Sr. Chamber Scientist is the technical owner for the development of Cymer DUV laser discharge chambers: responsible for designing, validating and reviewing new features that improve chamber performance. The chamber scientist works in a cross-functional team with Program/Project Managers, Technical Marketing, and System Engineers to develop and productize new technologies that enhance chamber performance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Drives the development & integration of innovative core technology elements and/or system concepts to improve excimer laser chambers.
- Applies knowledge and experience in engineering (electrical engineering or mechanical engineering) or physics (electromagnetics, flow dynamics, plasma physics or acoustics) to improve the performance and reliability of excimer laser chambers.
- Validates concepts through prototype builds, system level testing and analysis.
- Independently investigates scientific and technical problems and challenges and evaluates and recommends solutions.
- Interacts with customers, suppliers and peers, prepares and presents reports to management, as well as in internal meetings and conferences.
- Assists management on technical aspects of external collaboration activities.
- Prepares and revises technical documentation, including technical memos, specification documents and design validation reports.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and experience
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant industry or research institute experience is required with Master’s degree. Less experience required for PhD.
- Minimal educational degree requirement: Master's degree. PhD is strongly preferred. Areas: Physics, Plasma Physics, Material Science, Metallurgy, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Physical Chemistry or a related Engineering/Applied Physics.
- Specialty: plasma-metal interaction and gas-state laser physics.
Working at the cutting edge of tech, you’ll always have new challenges and new problems to solve – and working together is the only way to do that. You won’t work in a silo. Instead, you’ll be part of a creative, dynamic work environment where you’ll collaborate with supportive colleagues. There is always space for creative and unique points of view. You’ll have the flexibility and trust to choose how best to tackle tasks and solve problems.
To thrive in this job, you’ll need the following skills:
- Track record of proposing and validating innovative solutions to technical problems.
- Extensive experimental experience and skills in a laboratory environment.
- Extensive experience using MATLAB or Python for data analysis.
- Practical experience with laser systems either in manufacturing or laboratory environments.
- Experience with CAD design for mechanical parts, i.e. Creo, SolidWorks.
- Experience with project planning and execution.
- Experience leading a successfully completed project.
- Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Advanced experimental and analytical skills to define requirements and devise solutions to technical issues.
- Ability to develop and review conceptual or engineering models.
- Ability to think through, plan, and develop complex experiments and tests.
- Ability to carry a product design from conception into production.
- Experience with plasmas, electromagnetics, lasers, flow dynamics and acoustics is preferred.
- Experience with excimer Lasers or other gas-state discharge lasers is a plus.
- Experience with Semiconductor Capital Equipment is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
Diversity & Inclusion
ASML is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values and respects the importance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of the company to recruit, hire, train and promote persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a driving force in the success of our company.
Role within Office
- Routinely required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch. Occasionally required to move around the campus.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel (specify domestic and/or international) dependent on business needs – specify percentage of travel.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Strong customer focus and commitment to customer satisfaction through prioritization, quality, efficiency and professionalism.
- Ability to complete assignments with attention to detail and high degree of accuracy.
- Proven ability to perform effectively in a demanding environment with changing workloads and deadlines.
- Result driven-demonstrate ownership and accountability.
- Identifies bottlenecks and drives improvements.
- Work independently or as part of a team and follow through on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrate open, clear, concise and professional communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with manager, co-workers and customer.
- Work according to a strict set of procedures within the provided timelines.
EOE AA M/F/Veteran/Disability
Need to know more about applying for a job at ASML? Read our frequently asked questions.